March 25, 2019
Frankfort Regional Medical Center has invested in the Selenia® Dimensions® system from Hologic, the most state-of-the-art 3D Mammography equipment available. Frankfort Regional is the first in the state of Kentucky to offer Clarity HD high resolution 3D(tm) imaging. It creates ultra-high resolution 3D images of the breast in one-millimeter slices, which allows the radiologist to review a 3D image of the breasts layer by layer, one thin slice at a time. It utilizes low dose radiation and has comparable radiation doses to a 2D exam.
The device also includes the SmartCurve(tm) Breast Stabilization System -- a curved compression device the mirrors the shape of the breast, which provides greater comfort for the patient and clearer pictures for the radiologist. With pain being the number one complaint during mammograms,7 this fear of pain prevents many women from making regular breast imaging appointments a priority. Not only can this have a negative impact on patient volume and satisfaction scores, but it can put women at risk of a cancer being missed, or diagnosed at a more advanced stage. With improved comfort,6 the SmartCurve(tm) system was designed to address this challenge and provide a better patient experience for women during their mammograms.
“We are committed to delivering effective, evidence-based, innovative care at Frankfort Regional Medical Center,” says Reed Hammond, Chief Executive Officer. “We are excited to bring this level of technology to the communities we serve.”
3D Mammography has revolutionized how breast cancer is detected by providing a better option for women of all breast densities compared to 2D alone.1-2 Researchers have found that:
- A 3D Mammography exam finds 20-65% more invasive breast cancers compared to 2D alone, an average increase of 41%.3
- 3D Mammography is FDA approved as superior for women with dense breasts compared to 2D alone.1-2
- This technology reduces callbacks by up to 40% compared to 2D
alone, giving your patients piece of mind and eliminates the potential for unnecessary additional radiation exposure.2,4
Frankfort Regional Medical Center is excited to offer 3D Mammography, an advanced FDA-approved breast imaging technology. Utilizing advanced breast tomosynthesis technology, 3D exams are clinically proven to significantly increase the detection of breast cancers, and also decreasing the number of women asked to return for additional testing.1-7
For additional information about 3D Mammography, visit https://frankfortregional.com/service/imaging-services. To schedule an appointment, please call Central Scheduling at 502-226-1665.
1) FDA submissions P080003, P080003/S001, P080003/S004, P080003/S005
2) Friedewald SM, Rafferty EA, Rose SL, et al. Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography. JAMA. 2014 Jun 25;311(24):2499-507.
3) Results from Friedewald, SM, et al. “Breast cancer screening using tomosynthesis in combination with digital mammography." JAMA 311.24 (2014): 2499 2507; a multi-site (13), non-randomized, historical control study of 454,000 screening mammograms investigating the initial impact the introduction of the Hologic Selenia® Dimensions ® on screening outcomes. Individual results may vary. The study found an average 41% (95% CI: 20-65%) increase and that 1.2 (95% CI: 0.8-1.6) additional invasive breast cancers per 1000 screening exams were found in women receiving combined 2D FFDM and 3D(tm) mammograms acquired with the Hologic 3D Mammography(tm) System versus women receiving 2D FFDM mammograms only.
4) Bernardi D, Macaskill P, Pellegrini M, et. al. Breast cancer screening with tomosynthesis (3D mammography) with acquired or synthetic 2D mammography compared with 2D mammography alone (STORM-2): a population-based prospective study. Lancet Oncol. 2016 Aug;17(8):1105-13.
5) Independent survey conducted by Kadence International, June 2015
6) Smith, A. Improving Patient Comfort in Mammography. Hologic WP-00119 Rev 001 (2017).
7) Hologic Data on file, 2017