January 20, 2022
Frankfort Regional Medical Center (FRMC) has once again earned a two-year renewal of The Joint Commission's Gold Seal of Approval® for Certification of its Total Joint Replacement Program, for hip and knee replacement.
The hospital earned this prestigious designation by demonstrating compliance with The Joint Commission’s national standards for health care quality and safety in disease-specific care and is a demonstration of the hospital’s commitment to providing exceptional patient care.
Launched in 2002, The Joint Commission's Disease-Specific Care Certification Program is designed to evaluate clinical programs across the continuum of care and is a voluntary process.
"Total hip and total knee replacement certification is an important recognition of the safe, high-quality orthopedic care provided at Frankfort Regional Medical Center,” said Reed Hammond, chief executive officer of FRMC. “Achieving this level of certification is a reflection of the efforts of our physicians, nurses, and other clinical and non-clinical staff, who are committed to the care and improvement of human life.”
Certification requirements for joint replacement programs address three areas:
- Compliance with consensus-based national standards
- Effective and consistent use of appropriate, evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the hip, knee or shoulder replacement patient population
- Collection and analysis of a minimum of four performance measures specific to the hip, knee or shoulder replacement patient population (a minimum of two performance measures must be clinical in nature.)
Joint replacement programs that successfully demonstrate compliance in all three areas are awarded certification for a two-year period. At the end of the first year, the organization is required to attest to its continued compliance with standards and provide evidence of performance improvement activities. To maintain certification, the cycle repeats with an on-site review conducted every two years and a bi-annual submission of an acceptable assessment of compliance by the organization.
Benefits of Certification
Joint replacement programs seek certification because it:
- Demonstrates commitment to a higher standard of service
- Provides a framework for organizational structure and management
- Provides a competitive edge in the marketplace
- Enhances staff recruitment and development
- Is recognized by insurers and other third parties
For more information, please visit The Joint Commission website.