Family-Centered Pregnancy and Childbirth Care in Central Kentucky
At Frankfort Regional Medical Center, we know a healthy baby starts with a healthy pregnancy and birth. That’s why we offer comprehensive prenatal care, customized labor and delivery services, and ongoing postpartum support for both routine and high-risk pregnancies.
Our OB/GYN team in Frankfort, Kentucky will help you create your ideal birth experience with services that meet your medical needs and personal preferences. You have access to a range of services including natural, low-intervention birth options and midwifery care. Watch a video about why the Cox family chose to have their second baby here.
Our pregnancy and birth services include:
- Prenatal classes and education
- High-risk pregnancy care
- Neonatal intensive care
Why Choose Frankfort Regional Medical Center for Your Baby’s Birth
Giving birth is an unforgettable event. We make sure your experience is as joyful as it is safe. Families also choose us because:
- Our team is experienced. On average, we deliver around 800 babies a year. And our knowledgeable caregivers — including obstetricians, gynecologists, anesthesiologists, neonatologists, nurse practitioners, and certified nurse midwives — work together to ensure your delivery goes smoothly.
- We’re recognized for nursing care. Our OB, neonatal, and other advanced practice nurses are part of a team recognized for nursing excellence. Frankfort Regional Medical Center is one of only seven hospitals in Kentucky to earn Magnet® designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. This award, achieved by only eight percent of U.S. hospitals, confirms we meet or exceed national benchmarks related to quality of care and patient outcomes.
- Your preferences matter. You know your body better than anyone and we trust your instincts. You choose how to experience labor and delivery. We also welcome and support private doula care.
- You and your baby are safe here. Because unexpected complications can occur during labor and delivery, it’s important to choose a birthing center that can handle emergencies at a moment’s notice. We offer a Level II NICU for premature or sick newborns, and enhanced security measures.
- Continuous care for your whole family. Frankfort Regional Medical Center offers specialized health services for all your family’s needs, from birth to old age. This includes pediatric emergency, hospital, and specialty care.
Before Your Baby is Born – Complete Prenatal Care
Whether you’re coping with morning sickness or confused about the signs of labor, you’ll find services to help you stay healthy, plan for birth, and care for your newborn with confidence. We offer:
- Birth center tours and childbirth classes. We offer personal, guided tours of our maternity unit so you know what to expect and can ask questions ahead of time. We also have a wide range of classes covering labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and caring for baby.
- Personalized birth planning. Choose from an array of care tailored to your needs. We offer low-intervention birth options such as natural pain management techniques, wireless fetal monitoring, delayed umbilical cord clamping, and immediate skin-to-skin contact for you and your infant (also known as Kangaroo Care).
- Nutrition counseling. If you have severe nausea or develop gestational diabetes, our registered dietitians can help you plan meals that keep you and your baby healthy. A physician referral is required. For questions about our medical nutrition therapy service, call (502) 226-7839.
- High-risk pregnancy care. If you’re carrying multiples, have a medical condition, or have had previous problems during pregnancy or delivery, your OB/GYN will partner with a maternal-fetal medicine doctor to ensure the best possible outcome for you and your baby.
The Big Day – Customized Labor and Delivery Care
Our caregivers are committed to providing you a one-of-a-kind birth experience in a supportive, soothing environment. We offer:
- A private, comfortable experience. Our spacious birthing suites allow you to labor your way, with the help of your caregiver or support person. We offer soaking tubs for hydrotherapy, peanut balls, birthing balls, and private bathrooms.
- Welcoming, family-friendly setting. With snacks available in our nourishment room and overnight sleeping accommodations for your partner, your family will feel at home throughout labor and delivery.
- Medical team ready for anything. Our team is here for whatever you need, 24/7. We have the latest obstetric technology and resources, including an anesthesiologist and dedicated operating rooms nearby for unplanned or emergency C-sections.
After Your Baby is Born – Postpartum Care with Ongoing Support
You and your baby will be well-cared for until you’re ready to leave the hospital, and for weeks after you return home. Our postpartum services include:
- Family-centered care. We practice couplet care (also known as rooming in), so you and your partner can get to know your baby in a private setting. This means your baby stays with you in the room at all times, even during most examinations. And the same nurse cares for you and your baby.
- Breastfeeding support. Breastfeeding is a learned skill for both mom and baby. Our on-site, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultants and Certified Lactation Counselors help you breastfeed immediately after birth and throughout your hospital stay.
- Postpartum depression screening. We screen all new moms for postpartum depression before leaving the hospital and will coordinate any medical care or counseling you may need.
- Baby photography. Frankfort Regional Medical Center partners with Mom365 for newborn portraits and an online gallery for family and friends. About the Mom365 photo experience.
Baby on the way? Chances are you have a million questions about feeding, sleep schedules, and babyproofing. Our classes help you feel confident and well-prepared.
Having a baby is one of the most important decisions you’ll make. So is choosing where to have your baby. Use our guide to compare your options and find your ideal birth center.
If your baby needs extra care and attention, we offer Level II neonatal intensive care. Learn how we support and nurture premature or ill newborns.