Blood Pressure Testing and Measurement
|Placement of Blood Pressure Cuff|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Test
What to Expect
Prior to Test
Description of Test
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
- A blood pressure reading of less than 90 over 60 may be a sign of hypotension.
- A blood pressure less than 120 over 80 is considered normal.
- A blood pressure between 120-139 over 80-89 is classified as prehypertension, meaning that your blood pressure is elevated.
- Having many accurate blood pressure readings that are all 140 over 90 or higher is a sign of hypertension.
Call Your Doctor
- Blood pressure that is too high or abnormally low
- Symptoms like chest pain, difficulty breathing, or lightheadedness
- Questions about the use of medication to treat high blood pressure
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
Canadian Cardiovascular Society http://www.ccs.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.ca
Chobanian AV, Bakris GL, Black HR, et al. The seventh report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure. JAMA . 2003;289:2560-2572.
Explore high blood pressure. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hbp/ . Updated August 2, 2012. Accessed April 17, 2013.
Understanding blood pressure readings. American Heart Association website. Available at http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/AboutHighBloodPressure/Understanding-Blood-Pressure-Readings%5FUCM%5F301764%5FArticle.jsp . Updated March 1, 2013. Accessed April 17, 2013.
- Reviewer: Michael J. Fucci, DO
- Review Date: 03/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/31/2013 -
- Breast Cancer Center
- Cancer Resources
- Classes & Events
- Conditions A-Z
- Health Newsletters
- Health Calculators
- Health Encyclopedia
- Healthy Recipes
- Heart Care Center
- Medical Minute
- Pregnancy Health
- Stroke Guide
- Support Groups
- Tobacco Free Campus
- Virtual Body
- Video Gallery
- X-Plain Patient Education
- Radiation Right